Hi there folks!
Creatives Meet Business is an event and podcast series based out of Austin, Texas for creatives of ALL disciplines to get from zero to one in thinking of themselves as business owners (in the creative sector).
This episode features Dr. Vagdevi Meunier, Founder and Executive Director of The Center for Relationships, who joined us in April during our roundtable event on Managing Professional Relationships. As you'll soon find out, she'll walk you through the fine art of boundary setting in under 15 minutes. Because there's so SO much that's exciting about this episode - let's hop in and hear what Dr. Vagdevi has to say!
- 0:00 to 1:43 - Ashland Opening Remarks and Intro of Dr. Vagdevi Meunier
- 1:49 to 2:39 - Introduction of Self and Topic (Boundaries)
- As soon as you're in a relationship, you have to think about boundaries
- We negotiate boundaries from the time we're children
- 2:40 to 6:37 - Setting boundaries
- Know what makes you feel like somebody crossed a boundary for you
- Boundaries are about personal integrity and self knowledge
- Boundaries are necessary because they create safety and allow people to be the best versions of themselves
- Safety is necessary for creativity
- Setting boundaries is an important skill for creatives to have
- Self awareness and observation are key to understanding personal boundaries
- Think about personal values and sense of purpose
- Know what makes you flourish and feel free (not restricted)
- Know your limits and capacities
- Know when you're approaching your capacity
- Negotiation changes when you have a better sense of your capacity
- Know what makes you feel fear or lack of safety
- Know what you have a tendency to do
- 6:38 to 7:03 - Guiding Principles
- Write out a three sentence statement about what you're about
- How do you want people to experience when in relationship with you
- This becomes your set of guiding principles
- 7:04 to 9:45 - How to Set Boundaries
- Learn to be assertive and not aggressive
- John Gottman research - four behaviors that are aggressive rather than assertive:
- The antidote for each of these is assertiveness
- 9:46 to 10:26 - Put yourself first
- Take time for self care!
- More likely to stand up for ourselves when we feel like we're befriending ourselves
- Seek consultation
- 10:27 to 11:24 - The Art of Saying NO
- Always begin with a "Yes" and then talk about what you need and want and when it would be a good idea for you to offer that
- 11:27 to 12:39 - Ashland Closing Remarks
If you like what you hear, share the podcast with your friends, rate and review. To stay in the loop - follow us on Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to the newsletter.
Get ready for more info on Managing Professional Relationships, stay tuned!
Ashland, Creatives Meet Business