Hi there folks!
Creatives Meet Business is an event and podcast series based out of Austin, Texas for artists and creatives to learn the ropes of entrepreneurship.
This episode features Danny Gutknecht who joined us in November during our roundtable event on Bootstrap. This episode outlines the Quest(ion) Stage of Bootstrap Entrepreneurship and includes so much amazing info on Danny's Essence Mining model. Without further ado, let's hop in and hear what he has to say!
- 0:00 to 2:37 - Ashland Opening Remarks and Intro of Danny Gutknecht, Author of Meaning at Work
- 2:40 to 3:44 - Introduction of Topic - Question Stage
- Struggle in entrepreneurship is important, it's helping you learn about what you really want to do
- 3:45 to 13:00 - Essence Mining
- Way to understand self and business
- Example - how siblings are different from each other
- Resonance - how trust is established through chemicals in the brain
- Early interest in self discovery and philosophy
- Personal journey with creating companies and finding personal fulfillment
- Created essence mining process from his work in recruiting and combining it with philosophies he'd been studying
- Essence Mining steps:
- Where did you grow up, what did you enjoy doing as a child, what happened next. Examine narratives about how interests grew. How did those interests move to the next step in school, etc.
- What am I doing now that I really care about? Where does time melt away? What am I doing when nothing matters anymore? Whatever that is, do more of it.
- We focus our attention on the tension
- When you mine your narrative, it helps you be present. If you perform this process regularly, you start learning things. You realize that nothing is ever settled, it's a constant learning process.
- 13:06 to 16:30 - Self Deception - Answer to Attendee Question
- Caps lock / Caps off technique: argument on paper or on computer, argue both sides (one side caps lock, one side caps off). Argue until the argument is done, come back to it when emotions aren't running as high.
- Cultural ratcheting
- 16:31 to 19:20 - Ashland Closing Remarks
If you like what you hear, share the podcast with your friends, and rate and review. To stay in the loop - follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to the newsletter.
More on Bootstrap, so stay tuned!
Ashland, Creatives Meet Business