Hi there folks!
Creatives Meet Business is an event and podcast series based out of Austin, Texas for artists and creatives to learn the ropes of entrepreneurship.
This episode features Kara Perez, Founder of bravely, who joined us in February during our roundtable event on Goal Planning. This episode includes SO much about financial goal planning. From the "why" behind the goal to some tactical how-to info, this episode is chock-full of financial goal setting know-how. Without further ado, let's hop in and hear what Kara has to say!
- 0:00 to 1:41 - Ashland Opening Remarks and Intro of Kara Perez
- 1:46 to 2:07 - Introduction of Self and Topic
- 2:08 to 3:25 - Setting a Financial Why
- Connect with a financial why
- Personal story about setting a financial why
- 3:26 to 5:00 - Set a SMART Goal
- S = Specific
- M = Measurable
- A = Achieveable
- R = Realistic
- T = Timebound
- Example = I want to pay off $10,000 in student loan debt by the end of 2018
- 5:02 to 10:59 - Organize Money
- Check your accounts
- Very easy in the digital age to be separate from our money and our cash
- First thing to get organized = budgeting
- Budgeting apps available, spreadsheets, downloadables
- Categorize by need and want
- Understand your spending patterns
- Review expenses and highlight the things that move you toward your goal
- Separate accounts for separate goals
- Kara has 6 savings accounts
- Be mindful about interest rates
- 11:00 to 17:34 - Having Conversations about Money with Loved Ones
- Having money conversations with those you share your time with is critical. Be sure to share your financial why
- Be specific about the changes you want to make
- Sharing about your goal helps keep you accountable toward achieving it
- Use "I Statements"
- Visual and consistent reminders to keep self on track
- Vision board / picture on wall
- Goals on phone screen
- Setting reminders or alerts on Google Calendar
- Can be a sweet reminder to self like #debtpayoff
- Sign up for daily alerts with your bank
- Money fluctuates, be compassionate with yourself when looking at your money
- 17:39 to 21:59 - Ashland Closing Remarks
- Like this podcast? Great! A rating and review is so helpful!
- Stay in touch, email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or connect with us on social (@createmeetbiz on Instagram and Twitter // Creatives Meet Business on Facebook).
- Big thanks to Jamal Knox (audio engineer) and Chris James (composer)!
If you like what you hear, share the podcast with your friends, and rate and review. To stay in the loop - follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to the newsletter.
More Goal Planning to come, so stay tuned!
Ashland, Creatives Meet Business