Hi there folks!
Creatives Meet Business is an event and podcast series based out of Austin, Texas for creatives of ALL disciplines to get from zero to one in thinking of themselves as business owners (in the creative sector).
This episode features Chad Jones, founder of Hatcreek Marketing, who joined us in February during our event on Digital Marketing. As you'll soon find out, he shares some awesome insights into the world of analytics and what you should really know. He chats about the scientific method, how to find the analytics that you actually need to measure and so much more. Because there's so SO much that's exciting about this episode - let's hop in and hear what Chad has to say!
- 0:00 to 1:43 - Ashland Opening Remarks and Intro of Chad Jones
- 1:46 to 2:36 - Introduction of Self and Why Analytics Should be Measured Now (Not Later)
- You should be paying attention to analytics at every stage of your business as analytics help you keep your finger on the pulse with your customers and prospective clients
- 2:37 to 5:59 - Concepts and Approach for Analytics - The Scientific Method!
- Travel back to middle school and revisit The Scientific Method
- Ask questions, come up with a hypothesis, test / research, come up with a conclusion
- First question should be - how do I provide value to a client? Then -what metric do I use to measure that?
- Example of a photographer - metric to measure is time on site
- Think practically about what scares you off when you're shopping for things - Reviews? Slow load time on page? Preview thumbnails are too small?
- Analytics is: question, test, answer, new question
- 6:00 to 7:32 - Segmented Data
- Grouping data and looking at specific metrics inside those groups
- Source metric - where traffic is coming from (i.e. organic search result, twitter, newsletter)
- Example with auto post to Facebook and Twitter, how you can measure the results to see which audiences are bouncing and which are engaging
- Segmenting data gives you actionable intel
- 7:33 to 9:20 - Building Funnels
- Anytime you build an email campaign, website, etc, you have an idea how you want people to step through it (steps to take)
- i.e. social post to landing page to call-to-action to form
- Compare predicted behavior to actual behavior
- Hatcreek Marketing example - basic navigation funnel
- Why, What, How and Who
- Look at metrics with that funnel in mind
- 9:21 to 10:54 - Pitfalls to Watch Out For
- Know how the metric you're relying on is calculated
- Example of bounce rate on a one-page website
- Example with dryer not behaving properly and bouncing from site after taking all of the suggested steps from the website (the site did what it was intended to do)
- Watching out for bogus data
- Counting your own traffic
- 10:57 to 12:51 - Deep Dive on Google Analytics
- Conversion funnels that can send you emails
- User flow - user behavior report
- Good place to start if you're just now thinking about funnels
- 12:56 to 14:00 - Ashland Closing Remarks
If you like what you hear, share the podcast with your friends, rate and review. To stay in the loop - follow us on Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to the newsletter.
More on Digital Marketing so stay tuned!
Ashland, Creatives Meet Business