Hi there folks!
Creatives Meet Business is an event and podcast series based out of Austin, Texas for creatives of ALL disciplines to get from zero to one in thinking of themselves as business owners (in the creative sector). We record the content for this podcast at our live events.
This episode features Meredith Gonsalves, instructor at General Assembly Austin and Digital and Social Content Strategist at Deloitte.
Her episode on "Social Media Strategy Mapping" walks you through the six (6) main aspects that you'll need to keep in mind for getting started with new social media channels OR if you're about to tackle a new campaign. The topics she discusses are applicable to anyone who wants to make the most out of their social media marketing.
- 0:00 to 3:28 - Introduction & Supplemental Materials
- 3:30 - Meredith Introduces Self
- 3:55 - 6 Tips for Social Media Strategy Mapping - whether it be for a new social media channel or for a new campaign, put strategy and measurements behind your new idea before you put out any new content
- 4:45 - Position Your Brand
- Have a deep understanding of how people view your brand - on and off social. How do people engage with your content?
- 5:44 - Understand Your Target Audience
- Are you reaching the community you really want to be talking to?
- Know basic demographics, but also find out the other brands they follow and where they consume content
- 7:04 - Know Your Competitors
- Direct Competitor - Selling exactly what you're selling
- Indirect Competitor - Selling something similar or a portion of what you sell, could become a partner
- It's good to understand your indirect competitors but REALLY have a better understanding of your direct competitors. Know their content and campaigns.
- Share of Voice - How much of the conversation does your brand occupy in a conversation about your field or discipline (how much of the pie is your brand getting in the conversation)
- 8:48 - Social Media Strategy Mapping (with a real map)
- Prioritize and map out your goals, find your business "why." Why are you on social media?
- Your tactics should link back to the "why" you're on social media
- Example of a strategy map (goals, tactics and measurement)
- Be able to measure your goals!
- 11:10 - Map Out Your Resources
- Hootsuite or Buffer to schedule social media posts
- Graphic designer to help with graphics
- Create a content calendar (you can even do it in Excel)
- 12:00 - Measure and Optimize
- Measure and understand if your tactics are helping you meet your goals
- 13:27 - Lynda.com - online video tutorials for business, creative, and technology skills
If you like what you hear, share the podcast with your friends, like and comment. If you're in Austin, come and join us for an event! The next one is August 16th. To stay in the loop - follow us on Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to the newsletter.
Stay tuned for next week, we'll be posting another episode featuring one of the pros from the Social Media edition.
Ashland, Creatives Meet Business