Hi there folks!
Creatives Meet Business is an event and podcast series based out of Austin, Texas for artists and creatives to learn the ropes of entrepreneurship.
This episode features Sally Blue, fundraising coach and consultant, who joined us in August during our roundtable event on Fundraising. As you'll soon find out, she has so much to share about how your vision should be what's driving your fundraising. Because there's so much magic in this episode - let's hop in and hear what Sally has to say!
- 0:00 to 1:39 - Ashland Opening Remarks and Intro of Sally Blue
- 1:43 to 2:44 - Introduction of Self
- 2:45 to 6:12 - Misson, Vision, and Your Why (and how it connects to fundraising)
- Your mission and vision should be the basis of your fundraising, should be the heart of what you're doing
- Be clear on your mission / vision
- Be sure your board knows them too!
- Mission = what you do everyday, day to day activity of your organization.
- Vision = big picture, where are you going. How is the world different because you exist?
- This piece is fundamental to your fundraising. Makes people want to be involved with and a part of what you're doing
- Fundraising should never be about begging. It's your opportunity to share something you're passionate about.
- Why - where you can build in some of your more personal pieces. Knowing what they are helps you know when to say no.
- 6:13 to 6:56 - Saying "No"
- Having clarity around your why, mission, and vision will help you when you need to say "no"
- Sometimes you have to walk away from money and opportunities
- Learning to say no comes from seeing when an opportunity isn't in alignment with your vision, mission, why
- 6:57 to 8:36 - Talking About Money
- We all have a hard time talking about and asking people for money
- It's important to remember that it's hard for anyone to talk about this when asking for money
- Don't make assumptions or project your views about money onto your prospective donor
- Make sure your prospective donor is a match for your mission / vision
- Decide if you want to live in scarcity or abundance
- 8:37 to 10:55 - Traps You Can Fall Into When You Lose Sight of your Mission and Vision in Your Messaging
- Becomes very easy to lead with the need
- i.e. we need costumes, roof is caving in, etc.
- This is fine for a little while, but causes fatigue relatively quickly
- Causes anxiety and tension with your donors
- Lead with vision / not need, helps donors be invested and not transactional
- "Nobody wants to give money away, they want to invest in important causes"
- 11:00 to 14:31 - Ashland Closing Remarks
If you like what you hear, share the podcast with your friends, and rate and review. To stay in the loop - follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to the newsletter.
More on Fundraising, stay tuned!
Ashland, Creatives Meet Business